Wednesday, April 3, 2013

almond butter hummus

pretty tasty!
It's Wednesday again - lunch potluck with the mommies and babies.  I had a craving for hummus so I decided to get to the grocery store early to make sure I had time to make it...I always tell myself I should make a list but I thought, I know what goes in hummus, no list needed!  Of course I'm in the middle of making this and I realize I have NO TAHINI...I am devastated as I watch the chick peas whirring in the food processor.  I added a tiny bit of sesame oil but it still wasn't quite right.  Then I found some almond butter - it obviously has a slightly different flavour but the thickness is about the same as tahini and it helped emulsify the puree.  I actually like this hummus twist I think I'll be making it again!

what you need:
  • 1 can chick peas (540 mL) - drained but save the juice
  • 1 lemon, zest and juice
  • 1 large garlic clove, roughly chopped
  • 1 1/2 tbsp all natural almond butter
  • 1/2 tsp sesame oil
  • 1/4 salt
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tsp red wine vinegar
  • 1-2 tsp olive oil
  • smoked paprika *optional
what to do:
  1. In a food processor, blend all ingredients.  Loosen the puree with small amounts of chick pea juice until desired consistency.  Allow dip to sit for an hour before serving (allows the flavours to come together).  Sprinkle with paprika.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment