|simple and fresh|
what you need:
*serves about 4
- 8 mini cucumbers
- 3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp white sugar
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly minced
- 1 small red chilli pepper, chopped finely
- 1 tsp mirin (sweet Japanese cooking wine, optional)
- 1 tsp ponzu (citrus Japanese vinegar, optional)
- Mix all ingredients (except cucumbers) in a large salad bowl. Taste and adjust if required (e.g. add more soy for saltiness, more canola oil if too acidic)
- Cut tips off both ends of each cucumber. You will need a knife with a wide side/face. Place a cucumber in the centre of a big cutting board and smash it lengthwise with the side of the knife. The cucumber will burst/crack - cut it into about 3 sections on a diagonal and then break it up a little bit with your fingers for a rustic look.
- Toss all the smashed cucumbers in the salad bowl with the dressing and refrigerate for about 10-15 minutes prior to serving to allow flavours to marry. Serve alongside any BBQ protein or on it's own as a snack. Enjoy!