Monday, January 31, 2011

onion flatbread

not just a flatbread...
My mom taught me how to make this delicious onion flatbread.  I'm calling it flatbread because I don't know how else to describe it!  My family loves it; it never makes it to the dinner table when my mom makes it because my brothers, my dad, my husband and I can't stop snacking on it as soon as it comes out of the pan hot and fresh!  It is really popular in Taiwan, found in food stalls on the street, night markets, cafes and casual restaurants.  It can be eaten on its own or used as a wrapping/carrying vessel for other flavours. I will post examples of that later!  For now let's make some flatbread...

What you need:
  • 1 cup APF
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour (you can use only APF)
  • 2 cups boiled water (still hot but not scalding!)
  • 3 green onions, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 tsp or so of salt
  • 3 tbsp olive oil or canola oil
What to do:
  1. In a bowl, combine oil, green onions and salt.  Set aside.
  2. Put flour in a large bowl - while you pour hot water slowly into the flour, stir with chopsticks or the end of a wooden spoon - (don't add the water too fast because you might not need it all) - once the dough starts to come together, stop adding water.  If it seems like the dough is too wet, add a little more flour.
  3. Turn dough onto a floured board or counter top - knead until smooth.
  4. Divide dough in half and roll out into a long tube shape, cut into segments, then smush it flat with your palm.  Use a rolling pin to flatten the discs and spread some onion mixture evenly on dough.

5.  Roll dough with onion mixture into a tube and then curl it into itself.  Smush again gently with your palm and roll out gently to make a disc about 1/4" thick.  Don't worry if a little bit of onion or oil spills out.


6. In a frying pan on medium heat, add a tsp of canola oil.  Pan fry both sides, about 2 min each.  It should be golden brown and puff up slightly. 
7. Remove from heat and cut into slices.  Serve with a dipping sauce of light soy and sriracha hot sauce.


this one tore a little bit when rolled,
but doesn't matter it still tasted great!










2 comments:

  1. Hey T WU! It was great to see you on Friday :) I just discovered the food blog of a girl that lives in Ottawa. I think you guys would have a lot in common http://vanillabeancafe.blogspot.com/

    xo Ina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when you made the onion flatbread at my place a few years back during one of our girl's nights. So yummy!

    ReplyDelete